Saying goodbye to an old but beloved pair of shoes can be hard more than anything. But not anymore! There are several easy ways to renew shoes and keep them for some more years. These simple DIYs will help you make your old shoes look new.
You can renew almost any shoe, from old leather shoes with scuffs to suede shoes with stains, by polishing, conditioning, and cleaning them. In addition, there are several homemade cleaners to restore the faded colors of your shoes. You can also use ShoeGoo to repair worn-out soles, holes, loose parts, and broken heels.
Here is the list of 9 easy methods to make your old shoes look new.
- Polish Your Leather Shoes
- Condition Your Leather Shoes
- Use A Suede Shoe Cleaner to Renew Suede Shoes
- Use Water-Lemon Juice Mixture to Renew Leather/Canvas Sneakers
- Use Water-Baking Soda Mixture to Renew Shoes
- Use Water-Shampoo Mixture to Renew Canvas Shoes
- Renew Your Wet Shoes
- Resole Your Shoes
- Renew Your Shoes with ShoeGoo
No matter how many pairs of shoes we have, there will always be that one pair that we love that fits us well. While seeing them getting old can be tough, you can add some years to their lives. Let’s see how:
1. Renew Shoes By Polishing Your Leather Shoes
You want your leather shoes to look their best always. For this, you need to polish your leather shoes each time before putting them on. This will keep them looking brand new for a very long time. However, it may be overwhelming at times, so give them a good rub instead.
I like to polish my shoes myself, and I know many others do the same. If you also wish to try it, look for a leather polishing paste containing turpentine and beeswax. They are specially designed to minimize scuff marks on leather shoes and keep them shining.
The leather shoe polish comes in several colors: black, brown, neutral, etc. You can choose the color based on your shoe color. However, thoroughly clean your leather shoes before polishing them to avoid fadedness or dullness.
If you polish your dirty leather shoes directly, it can damage the outer layer or the finish of the shoes and will discolor them.
How To Do It?
- Before polishing your leather shoes, clean them thoroughly.
- To clean your leather shoes, use a soft-bristled damp brush and remove any dirt, dust, debris, sand, or mud from your shoes.
- After cleaning, use saddle soap on your shoes in a circular motion to clean them [For detailed steps visit helpshoe].
- Stuff your leather shoes with newspapers and let them dry overnight.
2. Renew Shoes By Conditioning Your Leather Shoes
After polishing your leather shoes, you need to apply a leather conditioner to protect the leather and keep their color looking rich. A good coat of conditioner will condition your leather shoes and protect the leather from future damage.
It is a quick and easy process that doesn’t require a lot of preparation. All you need is a cotton ball and a leather conditioner.
How To Do It?
- Use the cotton ball and apply the conditioner to your leather shoes.
- Gently rub them to apply a good smooth layer.
- Let the conditioner sit for about 5 minutes.
- Then wipe your shoes with a soft cloth.
- It is a simple yet effective way to make your old shoes look new no matter how rough they have been used.
3. Use A Suede Shoe Cleaner to Renew Suede Shoes
Renewing suede shoes is totally different from renewing leather shoes since you cannot polish off their scuff marks. To protect your suede shoes from getting damaged, you need a protective suede spray.
Suede shoes are susceptible to permanent damage from water. Therefore, you need to pay attention to what kind of water you will use your suede shoe in since water can penetrate its surface.
Even though suede is a soft yet extremely durable material, it gets worn out with time due to dirt, mud, sweat, water, salt, and moisture. Your suede shoes become cracked as they wear out, making them less breathable. Because suede shoes are so thin, they already can’t breathe very well.
You can renew your suede shoes by using a suede shoe cleaner. But make sure the suede shoe cleaner you choose contains natural ingredients to keep your suede shoes safe. A safer suede shoe cleaner may contain natural oils such as grape seed oil, vegetable oil, or jojoba oil. It should also include an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial formula.
To ensure the suede cleaner will not harm your shoes, I recommend testing it first since it can change your shoe color. First, use a suede eraser to remove the stains, and then use a suede brush to restore the shoes to their original state.
4. Use Water-Lemon Juice Mixture to Renew Leather/Canvas Sneakers
If you have stained your sneakers, here is a simple and easy way to clean and renew them.
No matter how stained, yellowed, or darkened your sneakers are, you can easily renew them with a mixture of water and lemon juice. You can apply this mixture to both your leather and canvas sneakers.
To make the mixture, mix half water and half lemon juice to clean your sneaker, remove the stains, and whiten them. You can use a sponge to apply the solution to your sneakers. It will help whiten your shoes, make them brighter, and make your old shoes look new.
How To Do It?
- Prepare the water-lemon juice solution by mixing half portion of water with the half portion of lemon juice.
- Using a sponge apply the solution to your sneakers.
- Then use your fingers to spread the solution all over your shoes.
- It will quickly remove all the residue from your shoes and remove the stubborn stains. It also helps to prevent the stains from getting absorbed.
- After applying the mixture, rinse your sneaker thoroughly and let them air dry.
- Dry your sneakers immediately since the solution can stain your sneakers if left dampened for a while.
- If you couldn’t remove stains on the first attempt, try it 2-3 times to completely transform your sneakers into new ones.
It would be a great DIY to try, especially if you haven’t worn your sneakers in a while. In case your leather sneakers are scuffed, apply a thin layer of nail polish remover to the scuffed areas and wipe clean.
5. Use Water-Baking Soda Mixture to Renew Shoes
If you have trouble removing severe stains from your sneakers with a water-lemon juice mixture, you can try another method. For this method, you will only need water and baking soda. It is an easy and affordable method to remove harsh stains from your shoes/sneakers [Homemade cleaners].
The major benefit of baking soda to clean your sneakers is that you don’t need any other cleaner or stain remover.
How To Do It?
- To prepare the solution, mix one tablespoon of baking soda with a few drops of water and make a sticky paste.
- Once the solution is prepared, pour it into a cup.
- Thoroughly clean and dry your sneaker before applying the mixture to the stains on your sneakers.
- Wash your hands before applying the mixture to avoid any chemical reaction on your skin.
- After cleaning your hands, apply the mixture to the stained areas on your sneakers.
- Using one hand, hold your sneaker, and with the other, apply the mixture evenly without spilling over.
- Rub the mixture over the stains.
- Let the mixture sit in the stains for a few minutes.
- Finally, rinse your sneakers thoroughly with plain water.
- And that’s it; you will successfully renew your old stained sneakers with just baking soda and water.
Cleaning your sneakers with a water-baking soda solution is effective for those sneakers that you haven’t worn in a while or have worn a lot. You can renew your old stained shoes without spending on expensive stain removal products or chemical cleaners.
6. Use Water-Shampoo Mixture to Renew Canvas Shoes
Canvas shoes are the easiest to bring back to life. You can easily wash them by hand using a water-shampoo mixture. However, do not wash them in a washing machine because they will lose their remaining life.
How To Do It?
- Add equal parts of water and shampoo to prepare the cleaning mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a proper container. Keep the container out of direct sunlight as it can damage your shoes.
- Apply the cleaning solution to your canvas shoes.
- Rub your shoes thoroughly to remove stains, grime, and dirt.
- If the stain is severe, you may need to apply the solution twice a day.
- Leave the solution for a few minutes.
- Finally, wash them with plain water.
It is the simplest and easiest form of cleaning solution to clean your old, stained, dirty canvas shoes and bring them back to life. Ensure that you use the cleaning solution properly and don’t spill it over to avoid irritation and mess.
7. Renew Your Wet Shoes
I have often been caught in the rain while wearing my favorite shoes or have gotten them wet by accident. I am pretty sure you must have experienced the same but don’t worry, I’ve got your back.
Dry your shoes as soon as possible [helpshoe] if it happens to you [for detailed steps].
How To Do It?
- Get an old newspaper, crumble it up and stuff your shoes with the newspaper.
- Let them air dry for about 24 hours.
- Do not use a blow dryer to dry your shoes.
- Do not put your shoes in the direct sunlight or heat.
- If you want your shoes to dry evenly, place a shoe tree inside each one before they dry. Additionally, it will help them maintain their shape.
8. Renew Shoes By Resoling Them
In many cases, shoe soles wear out before their uppers, making your shoes look old and worn out. However, there is a simple DIY method to renew your shoes and make them look new. Resoling your shoe sole is an easy and simple process that helps to prolong their life. Both leather and rubber soles can be resolved [for detailed steps].
How To Do It?
- First, clean your old shoe soles.
- Remove the old, worn-out leather or rubber soles from your shoes using a sharp blade or knife.
- Trim down your shoes’ midsoles to make enough space for new soles.
- Spread a thin layer of shoe repair cement over the new sole.
- Finally, attach the new sole to the midsole and press them together.
- Smooth out the cuts and trim away any excess material.
9. Renew Your Shoes with ShoeGoo
ShoeGoo is the solution for all your shoe problems. With ShoeGoo, you can repair shoe holes, reattach soles and broken heels, and protect your shoes from water and mud.
Since ShoeGoo adheres to almost everything, it is the perfect way to renew your shoes. It goes clear and dries into a flexible rubber. So you can easily make your old shoe look new with ShoeGoo, whether it has a hole or a broken heel. Likewise, if your shoe has a loose part, you can use ShoeGoo to glue it back in place.
|Methods To Renew Shoes||Types of Shoes|
|Using A Suede Shoe Cleaner||Suede Shoes|
|Using Water-Lemon Juice Solution||Leather Sneakers, Canvas Sneakers|
|Using Water-Baking Soda Solution||Sneakers|
|Using Water-Shampoo Solution||Canvas Shoes|
|Drying Wet Shoes||Most types of shoes|
|Resoling Shoes||High-quality shoes, Leather shoes|
|Using ShoeGoo||Most types of shoes|
Thanks for visiting helpshoe.com