Not all feet are created equal. Some individuals have average arches, others have high arches, and there are others still who completely lack an arch. Our foot arch is just as unique as we are. Our unique feet require shoes that will provide proper arch support during walking.
When shoes don’t provide support, our feet can suffer. Discomfort and rolling an ankle may occur. Other problems arise and intensify over time. These include ankle pain, foot fatigue, hip discomfort, back pain, plantar fasciitis, shin splints, and soft tissue inflammation, just to name a few.
With supportive walking shoes, all of these discomforts and chronic pain may be avoided, but which brand should you choose? This article has 5 support walking shoes with arch support.
When I run, I know that having good arch support makes a big difference. Arch support for walking is just as important, and I hope you find the right shoe for your arch type that can support your feet.
Best Support for Average Arches
If you have been told you have a normal arch by your doctor, then these are the shoes for you! If you are not sure of your arch type, you can always check your footprint. If the inner section of your foot produces a half-empty circle mark where your arch would be, then you likely have a normal arch conformation.
Asics Gel-Nimbus 22
- Arch stability through added thermoplastic support
- Men’s & Women’s sizing
- 26 colors to choose from
- Highly durable fabric and structural materials
- Breathable fabric
- Arch Support that doesn’t wear out
- Maximum cushioning for walking on hard or uneven surfaces
- A variety of materials and style variations with the same superb support
The Asics Gel-Nimbus is marked as a running shoe, but that title should not deter you. This shoe is known for its amazing cushioning and support.
The entirety of this shoe sole is made with a gel custom-made by Asics to provide the utmost comfort. It is overlaid in areas with Asics custom Flytefoam for an added spring in each step and the arches are made of thermoplastic support that prevents the foot from twisting when in motion.
Best Support for Flat Feet
If you have flat feet, then you will often notice added pressure or pain on the inside of your ankles due to the foot’s tendency to roll inward. Plantar fasciitis is also highly common in flat-footed individuals, so it is important to find a shoe that provides support as well as proper cushioning to avoid the inflammation of soft tissue.
You can identify if you have flat feet by observing your footprint. If your footprint has a minute or non-extant curve on the inside of each foot, then you are likely flat-footed.
Saucony Omni Walker
- Men’s & Women’s Sizing
- Wide sizing available
- Simple leather design for easy cleaning
- Durable materials intended for long periods of standing or walking
- Two-color options
- Half sizes available
- Plush cushioning throughout the sole, heel, and ankle
This shoe was made with long walks on hard surfaces in mind. Saucony made a point of adding multiple layers of cushioning between the insert and base of the shoe to ensure that you hardly feel the impact of each step.
The arch in the Omni Walker is firmly placed in the shoe with an element of stability that extends beyond the arch to ensure each step falls precisely in line with the body’s natural motion.
Brooks Addiction Walker
- Men’s and women’s sizing
- Slim and stylish design
- Available in mesh, suede, or leather
- Laces or Velcro strap options
- Light-weight design for effortless movement
- Half sizes available
- Free return policy within a 90-day trial
Brooks shoes are strategically designed to correct and highlight the natural motion of walking and running.
They use a special material for cushioning that adapts to the weight and speed of each step you take. These shoes are especially fitting for anyone who needs a bit of extra space and breathability for their feet.
Best Support for High Arches
High arches may be the least common arch anatomy, but that does not make them any less valid.
High-arched individuals tend to put pressure on the outer edge of their feet and if they were to examine their footprints, they would find deep inward curves in the centers. The result of high arches is excess shock throughout the lower legs, so it is important to find corrective shoes.
Saucony Echelon Walking Shoes
- Plush shock-absorbing sole
- Contoured footbed
- Orthopedic inserts friendly
- Base and side heel support to take the pressure off of the ankles
- Available in a variety of widths and colors
- Half sizes are available
- Reflective elements are included in the design for safety during darker hours
These shoes are only available in men’s sizing. They have a well-structured sole with plenty of room for feet to naturally splay out. The arch is present, but it is lower and the rest of the shoe is structured to focus more on the foot’s weight inwards to achieve a natural stride.
- Broader toe box for breathable and comfortable movement
- Thoroughly cushioned sole to muffle shock caused by high arches
- Extremely lightweight yet durable
- Exceptional grip for textured surfaces
- 6-month quality guarantee on all sneakers
Kuru emphasizes alignment in all of their sneakers, but their Quantum model is the perfect combination of cushion and support. This model is only available in women’s sizes, and the styles do not disappoint. After one walk in these kicks, you will start to feel relief from any nagging shock-related pain.
Getting shoes that fit your arch type can be tricky. Each type of shoe uses different types and amounts of cushion. While you might get the right shoe type for your arch, it doesn’t mean your foot will feel comfortable.
You’ll need to try on a couple of different types of shoes to make sure it feels comfortable and doesn’t hurt. If you need a more rigid shoe or a softer one, check the reviews to get some idea of what the shoe is like. It might be best to visit a shoe store to get the best fit and comfort level.
Thanks for visiting Helpshoe.com
- https://www.afacc.net/foot-problems/flat-foot/ (Link no longer working)
- https://www.saucony.com/en/omni-walker/11891W.html?dwvar_11891W_color=5260-2#start=1 (Link no longer working)
- https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/search?q=addiction (Link no longer working)